Tower Hamlets is one of the most overcrowded boroughs in the country; the overall rate of overcrowding is more than twice the London average, and rates of overcrowding in council-owned housing is the highest in London. We need more resources to address the housing shortage and ensure good quality, integrated housing is accessible to all.
Under the previous Labour government, Tower Hamlets Homes was allocated £220 million to bring homes in Tower Hamlets up to liveable standards as part of the Decent Homes programme.
One of my very first actions as an MP was to ask the Prime Minister to commit to funding the Decent Homes programme and to lobby the Chancellor and Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government to ensure that this money would be delivered for residents in the borough.
This campaigning resulted in us successfully securing £165 million to help get homes up to a decent standard in Tower Hamlets. This will mean that 8,000 homes will benefit from improvements to help living standards rise across the borough by 2015.
This investment will not only benefit people’s homes and our local community, but will create and sustain jobs. When the programme was set up under the Labour government, it was estimated that for every million pounds spent on the programme, 17 jobs were secured or created.
But I know there is still much work to be done in order to get all homes in Bethnal Green and Bow up to a decent standard. You can see the work I’ve been doing on housing by following the links below.
- Rushanara Ali MP speaks out in Parliament during housing debate in support of Tower Hamlets residents facing eviction
- Rushanara Ali MP and Jim Fitzpatrick MP launch campaign calling on Tower Hamlets Homes to secure a fair deal for leaseholders
- Rushanara Ali MP and Jim Fitzpatrick MP welcome £25 million injection of funding to improve homes in Tower Hamlets
- Olympic Games: Legacy or Money Pit?
- Labour calls for action on East End housing crisis following huge slump in housebuilding and steep rise in rough sleeping
- Rushanara Ali MP demands answers from PM on shocking increase in homelessness
- Bethnal Green & Bow Labour MP Rushanara Ali on how families are paying the price of Tory failure
- Rushanara Ali on ITV Late Debate
- Labour reveals 2,121 people hit by Conservative-led Government’s Bedroom Tax in Bethnal Green and Bow
- Government is failing jobless youth, says East End MP Rushanara Ali